God Loves You And I Love You.

In 1979, I visited a church in the USA, where the members of the congregation greeted each other with these words: "God loves you, and I love you." A year later, after my return to Scotland, I heard a song with the words: "God loves you, and I love you, and that's the way it should be." The love of God is not merely words which we speak. The love of God is to be seen in the lives which we lead. "God loves you, and I love you." "God loves you, and I love you, and that's the way it should be." these words have stuck with me over the course of the years. When I conduct a wedding, I read the words of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 and 1 Corinthians 13:13. I give the couple a motto to carry with them into their married life: "God loves you, and I love you." I emphasize that human love is founded on divine love. Our love for each other is based on God's love for each of us. I stress to them that there are times, in every marriage, when you become painfully of your partner's weaknesses, times when you are very disappointed in your partner. At such times, it is difficult to share your love with your partner. These are the times when we must remember the love of God. When you find it difficult to love your partner, remember God's love for you. God sees your weaknesses as well as your strengths. He sees your bad points as well as your good points. He knows all about your faults and failings, yet He continues to love you. When you think of such love, you will find it so much easier to share your love with your partner. The words, "I love you", will come to mean so much more when both husband and wife are seeking to build upon the love of God. This is the advice that I give to newly married couples; Build your human love on divine love. Build your love for each other on the love of God for both of you.